Are we looking for YOU?: John Knox Center is in search of a full-time Program Director who is an energetic Christian leader to guide our programs and be part of the overall camp ministry. We're looking for an outgoing, people-person with strong communication skills to join our ministry team. The ideal candidate will be a relationship builder, creative, hard-working, service-oriented, and have previous camp experience. The primary role of this position is to develop, administer, promote, and lead the day-to-day operations of our growing summer camp program, environmental education program, special events, and guest group hospitality. We are looking for a team player who is a positive proactive person excited about giving every camper and guest the best experience possible, willing to jump in wherever is needed to meet that goal.
Who we are: John Knox Center was established in 1960 as a summer camp and Christian retreat. Over the years retreats expanded beyond Presbyterian congregations to other church denominations, schools, businesses & other groups. Rental guests come for retreats, team building and to participate in our own events year-round. In 1994, the River Ridge Environmental Education Program was founded and is now one of the most popular outdoor education locations for schools in East Tennessee. In the fall and spring, our River Ridge Environmental Education Program hosts approx. 1,500-2,000 participants each year. While these programs are popular, Summer Camp is the heart and soul of the ministry. During the summer approx. 200 campers and 15 staff come from around the world to be in Christian community together. This small number gives us the ability to form lasting bonds with all our campers. We are a ministry of the Presbytery of East Tennessee (PCUSA). We believe EVERYONE has a place at CAMP. We welcome, affirm, and support young people and adults of all abilities and disabilities, experiences, races, ethnicities, socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, citizenship or immigration status, religion and non-religion, and any other category people use to define themselves or others. We hire staff who fit within this community believing camp is for everyone.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary paid monthly, medical benefits covered by employer for the employee with the option of dental and vision at the employee's cost.
- Medical benefits and pension (PCUSA Board of Pensions) to begin upon start of employment.
- Private 3 bedroom, 2 bath residence- provided for the duration of employment & meals provided while guests are onsite at no cost. Housing is located onsite and a short walk from most camp spaces. The residence is not furnished by has appliances (washer, dryer, microwave, dishwasher, HVAC). The residence also has a wood-burning fireplace.
- High-speed Wi-Fi, utilities, and use of waterfront recreation equipment are provided.
- Use of an organization-owned vehicle when available for work needs.
- PTO days are provided and will be negotiated at the time of hire.
- Cell phone provided.
- Professional development funds and time allotted annually.
- Full-time with flexible schedule required including evenings and weekends.
- Office and outdoor setting.
- Periods of intense activity during summer camp and guest group hosting.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs., move around the property without assistance and spend several hours standing.